History and objectives
The Dandenong and District Historical Society was established in 1963. On 3 April 1963, Susan Perham wrote a letter to the Editor of the Dandenong Journal urging the local community to record Dandenong’s history and memoirs before it became to late.
An inaugural meeting was held in her home on June 5th. Three weeks later the Dandenong historical Society was formed. During the years this organization has grown and in 2013 fifty years after Susan’s plea we are still working hard to honour Susan’s plea and record the changes in the District.
We are a happy bunch of volunteers interested in the history of the Dandenong & District – our community.
Our objectives are to:
- care for the Research rooms and open them once a week.
- index and digitally store photographs, documents and ephemera
- help individuals, companies, and local government with their heritage enquires
- provide public bi-monthly meetings, usually with a guest speaker
- publish a twice yearly magazine “Gippsland Gate”
- occasionally publish books and stage exhibitions.